The Fit Fix For Your Snack Attack
Why are all the great tasting snacks ALL carbs and NO protein? Chips, crackers, cookies, candy and even fruit – are nothing but carbs. However, there is one snack that people forget about which is totally PACKED with protein, and low in fat, calories and carbs. It’s Jerky!
One of the first questions people ask when I mention eating jerky is “but doesn’t that have a lot of sodium in it?” Well, maybe this will surprise you, but Jerky doesn’t have any more sodium than flavored popcorn or other popular chips like Bar-B-Q corn chips, cheddar and sour cream flavored potato chips and even many crackers. It even has 100mgs less sodium than most of the highest quality lunch cut meats.
If it helps put things into perspective, a 1/2 cup of condensed chicken noodle soup as about 890mg of sodium and a single 1/4 pound cheeseburger has approximately 1200mg. Jack Links Chicken Jerky, however, has only 280mgs of sodium in comparison. Even a single serving of your favorite light salad dressing can be close to that.
So now that the sodium topic has been addressed, let’s talk about all the awesomeness that goes with eating Jerky! First, you’ve probably heard of Turkey Jerky. Now there is Chicken Jerky, which is leaner and super tasty – and happens to also have about half the sodium as traditional beef jerky.
Our Wild Side:
We live a wild life constantly on the go Go GO! That is why jerky always makes it on our travel snack list. I love to take our Jerky to the beach, on road trips and on all our outdoor adventures. While protein shakes and bars are also a good way to get extra protein in, I get tired of all the sweets. I want my salt fix and I NEED my protein fix too – and with jerky, I get the best of both worlds!
8 Great Reasons to Say Yes to Jerky
1. It’s high in protein. (11gms of protein!)
2. It’s easy to get. You don’t have to special order the stuff! You can get it anywhere – including convenience stores.
3. It’s convenient. It’s the only way to eat meat on the go without having to lug around a big lunky cooler or insulated lunch bag.
4. It’s low in carbs(6g), fat (1g) & calories (80!)
5. It takes time to eat. Chewing on jerky takes time, making for a longer snacking experience.
6. It comes in a resealable pouch so you can nibble on it throughout the day.
7. It has a long shelf life (over a year!)
8. It’s perfect for outdoor adventures because it doesn’t spoil.
What’s In My Beach Bag
Living in a beach town, I visit the beach often. It’s one of my favorite outdoor activities. I love to enjoy the sea breeze, warm sun and searching for sea glass! If you were to ever bump into me at the beach, here is what is in my bag 99% of the time.
- LOTS of Water
- Jack Links Turkey or Chicken Jerky
- Almonds or String Cheese
- A green apple or a plum
- Baseball hat (to protect my face!)
- Lip Gloss & Powder (just in case!)
- iPhone (of course!)
My Favorite Jack Link’s Flavors
- Jack Link’s Chicken Jerky: Lean white meat chicken breast seasoned and marinated with cracked black pepper along with sweet and savory spices.
- Jack Link’s Turkey Jerky: Solid strips of lean, white meat turkey breast seasoned and smoked over mesquite. This little beauty is 98% fat free. A perfect little something different.
- Jack Link’s Sweet Teriyaki Turkey Jerky: Soy, ginger, a little onion and a whole lot of perfectly smoked turkey. The very best of East meets West.
Follow Jack Links & Share Your Wild Side!
Facebook: Jack Link’s Beef Jerky https://www.facebook.com/jacklinksbeefjerky
Instagram: @JackLinksJerky https://instagram.com/jacklinksjerky/
- Jack Link’s Chicken Jerky
- Jack Link’s Turkey Jerky
- Jack Link’s Sweet Teriyaki Turkey Jerky
- Water bottle
- Sweat towel
- EOS lip balm
Contest ends August 15th!
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Jack Link’s.