Category Archives: PFOCUS
FOCUS – MOTIVATION – INSPIRATION – EDUCATION.
This section is for those of you who need the motivation (and maybe even a kick in the pants) to focus, or refocus, on your goals.
“If you fell down yesterday, stand up today.” ― H.G. Wells
What you did, or didn’t do, yesterday has nothing to do with today. TODAY, is fresh and new. TODAY, you get to make better decisions. TODAY, you can use what you learned from prior mistakes. You don’t have a disadvantage today. If you really think about it, you have an advantage today.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ― Thomas A. Edison
“You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It wont happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.” ― Joel Osteen,
You Missed Your Mark, So What? Try Again
“You can suffer the pain of change or suffer remaining the way you are.” ― Joyce Meyer
When you aim for a target and miss, you have a chance to try it again. You have a chance to make corrections. If you didn’t hit your target because you were aiming too far to the right, you aim a little left. You don’t just beat yourself up over missing it or give up. You keep trying. You keep practicing. You keep correcting. Even if you completely stink at it, you CAN get better – with practice. The only thing worse that feeling like a failure because you aren’t always hitting your mark, is feeling like a failure because you are not even trying to hit your mark.
“A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions–as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
You know your weaknesses. You know your strengths. You have a chance to correct mistakes. If you ate poorly yesterday, you can eat good today. If you skipped a workout, you get to workout today. You have a chance to leave the past in the past and just do what is right and good today. Today is literally the only thing you have control over.
“I am not concerned that you have fallen — I am concerned that you arise.” ― Abraham Lincoln
If you focus on your past failures, you will let those failures affect today. You will let them cause doubt. You will allow the feeling of defeat ruin your today – to the point you might not even try to arise today. You have the chance to forgive yourself. You have to chance to start over – everyone does. We’ve all failed, we just don’t all keep trying.
“You’re not obligated to win. You’re obligated to keep trying. To the best you can do everyday.” ― Jason Mraz
So, next time you want to have a pity party about how you messed up – get over it! Let that mistake stay with yesterday. Today can be as successful as you want it to be.
“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” ― Robert F. Kennedy
“Success is determined not by whether or not you face obstacles, but by your reaction to them. And if you look at these obstacles as a containing fence, they become your excuse for failure. If you look at them as a hurdle, each one strengthens you for the next.” ― Ben Carson
“It is not as important how we start (our past), but how we finish.” ― Joyce Meyer
Don’t Throw It All Away
I have met so many people, on the successful end of their fitness journey, who once had a story of failure. Time after time, I’ve heard stories of how people didn’t stick to a diet, how fitness didn’t work for them, how they wasted a gym membership, quit a program, lost weight only to gain it right back, gave up, quit or failed. And then, they made that decision to give it another try – and they succeeded!
My mom tried every diet in the book over a 30 year span, resulting in one failure after another. Today, she stands tall and proud, 100lbs lighter – and has KEPT it off for several years. BUT, what if she never kept trying? What if she decided she was doomed for failure? Do you think she, or any of the people around her who knew she had a history of being on a life-long diet, believed THIS would be IT? I don’t even know if she believed she could do it when she started, but she started anyway.
Ready for Success
What makes someone succeed THIS time? As much as I’d love to believe it’s our awesome training, our BCx Boot Camp or our gym, they cannot be successful until YOU are ready to be successful.
One, I think you have to let go completely of all your selfish desires. You have to decide that the heavy you, and how you were used to living, is dead and gone – and a new improved you requires drastic change. After you let go of what you think your body wants (food, laziness, not to “miss out” on “living”, etc), then you can focus on what you really want – and what that requires. Once you get your head in the game, you have to commit to it. You have decide you are not stopping no matter how rough it is, how slow it is, and how frustrated you get. Sometimes, you have to purposefully be reminded of where that old destructive path led you.
Strip Away the Old You
I believe you have to get SO sick of the old you, that you realize there is no other choice. Something’s gotta change – and the only thing that YOU can change, is YOU. You realize all your old ways brought you to this ugly place. You recognize the destruction. You acknowledged the unhappiness it has caused. Once those things are very real to you, then you embrace change. You welcome the stripping of flesh, lies and comforts. Once covered with excuses, now you are “naked” and exposed for who you really are and what you have really been allowing in your life that needs to go. You confess (admit) that maybe you have been doing things wrong and that it’s nobody else’s fault. Then, and only then, can you start working on you. You will welcome the clothing of everything healthy. You will be excited about your “2nd, 3rd, or 99th chance” to change – and once you put those healthy things into your life, you realize how good it feels do treat your body right and to do what is right. Then, when you start getting results (which you will) you will never want to go back.
Once you have gone through the mental preparation that success requires, you are ready to show up. You will still have doubt. You will still have temptations. You will wonder what is on the other side, and wonder if this time will be different. You will likely fight the old you every day in some way. BUT, if you keep showing up, you WILL win.
As I reflect on my 19th Wedding Anniversary, I think of all the days we didn’t know what was next. We didn’t know if “this time” it would be better. We didn’t know if we could succeed. BUT we decided to keep showing up. We’ll never forget a scene in a TV show where the main character asked his boss, who was celebrating his anniversary, what the secret to his marriage was and he said “I just keep showing up”. This is not just the case in marriage, but it is the case in fitness – and many other areas of our lives. It became our motto.
There will be many days we don’t want to go to the gym. There will be numerous days we don’t want to do the same job, be married to the same man, or even live the same life. We all have days we don’t want to “show up”, BUT you also never know if the next time you show up, it will be the beginning of success.
Like a dieter who failed 100 times, or the gym member that quit too many times to count, the NEXT time may be the BEST time – and you will NEVER know, if you don’t show up.
Thank you Steve for continuing to show up, even when you didn’t feel like it. Thank you for teaching me to never give up – on us, on fitness and on life. Happy Anniversary!
When you think of starting a diet or workout routine, you should not just think about starting the WORK. You should think about starting the RESULTS.
You immediately start benefiting from fitness as soon as you begin. You don’t have to wait until you’ve reached your goal weight to “cash in”. You will begin to feel more energized, better, healthier, stronger, leaner, more confident, and proud – just after a few days of consistent healthy living. Unfortunately, in our little pea-brains, all we can see is the work. And, that work is SO big to us, it temporarily overshadows the even GREATER rewards waiting for us on the other side.
The next time you even think about putting off a diet or workout, remember: You are not just putting off the work – you are putting off the results. Don’t you want to start enjoying results today?
Sundays are the days I really reflect on my prior week – what i did, what I didn’t do, what I want to do better, what I have to change. I think about the things that need to be removed, and the things that need to be added. This requires me to strip away the flesh (the skin, muscle, clothing, make-up & appearance) and think about what is underneath it all. Then I ask myself, “what needs work?” Of course, my answer is a loooong list, but I know the things I need to tackle first – I think we all do.
However, if we don’t stop to purposefully analyze our life and give ourself a little spiritual “check up”, it is so easy to let the days slip by, the problems build up and our soul deteriorate. Just in the same way our muscles deteriorate when neglected – so does our relationship with God when we neglect Him.
The question for me today was “Are you where God wants you to be?”
Am I doing what God called me to do?
Am I being obedient – in the big and the small things?
Am I ignoring Him?
Do I even know what I am supposed to be doing?
Am I giving Him enough time in my week to even let me know?
These are all things I am reflecting on today, and just wanted to share my thoughts with you. While we are on a quest for physical fitness, we should want to improve all areas of our lives – not just our body. I don’t know about you, but I have a LOT of work to do! :)
Have a great and reflective Sunday!
Why do we put off things for tomorrow? It’s not like we will be less busy, less stressed, less tired, less fat… It’s not going to be any easier to do tomorrow. Honestly, if anything, it’s going to get harder each day we procrastinate.
I don’t know why we talk ourselves into putting diet and fitness off. I guess, like with any other responsibility, it’s just another thing we dread doing. But the reality is this: We WANT to be fit. We WANT to lose weight. We WANT to be disciplined. We WANT results. And, if we want any of those things, we are going to eventually HAVE to do what it takes to get there. So, if it’s only going to be harder each day we procrastinate, doesn’t it make sense just to start doing it today? You aren’t just putting off the work, you are putting off the results.
In my opinion, the actual run (or workout) is not the hardest part. It’s getting there. It’s putting your workout clothes on, and stepping away from the computer, kids, and responsibilities to START your workout.
Once I’m “there” (whether on the road or in the gym), I love it – but it’s like there is an invisible forcefield at the front door that makes it so challenging to step through that door and transform into the fit girl I love to be.
May the Force Be With You
For some people, there is an evil forcefield that seems to block them from going to the gym. It comes in the form of work, kids, laziness, fear, embarrassment, procrastination, guilt and many other forms.
BUT, once you have made a commitment to show up, the forcefield is broken. The same way Snow White could be woken from the curse with the most simple task, with true love’s kiss, YOU can break the curse by an equally simple task. You just have to show up.
Don’t Think So Much
I think we overcomplicate things. We spend too much time worrying about what we are going to do when we get there, what we are going to wear, what our kids are going to think when we stick them in day care, what we have to cook for dinner, how we will squeeze it all in, what we are going to look like when we are floundering around the gym as a newbie, or how we are going to feel – embarrassed, fat, weak or out of shape.
Some people even think they need to lose weight BEFORE they go to the gym! That’s like trying to get well before going to the doctor. All these silly thoughts do is allow that forcefield to go up.
Just Show Up
It’s time to tear down the walls of intimidation, fear, laziness, and excuses – and just focus on one thing: Show Up. Day after day, just keep showing up. Once your feet hit the pavement, it’s golden. Once your body walks through the gym doors, you are set. The rest is easy! Most people would agree that they enjoy the feeling they get when they workout, they just have a hard time with the “starting” part.
The shoes in this pictures are the Reebok DMX Sky. They are really cool shoes that use air as cushion. I’ve been having ankle issues and I wore these yesterday and had the first day in several days with no pain. So, if you need extra support and like extra cushion, I’d definitely give these shoes a try. Very cool kicks.
FitFluential LLC compensated me for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Since many of our BCx workouts are timed workouts, with short bursts of intense exercise, one thing I say often is “You can do anything for 60 seconds”. That is because, when I was in boot camp, those were the words I held on to. I knew, no matter how bad it hurt, how winded I was, or how weak I felt, I could do anything for 60 seconds.
Of course, when THAT 60 seconds was done, I had to do another 60 seconds of something just as brutal – but at least it was something different. And, I knew, once again, I could endure THAT for 60 seconds too.
1 Out of 24
The pain is evidence of change. If we can look past the immediate discomfort and focus on the other 23 hours of freedom, where we get to bask in the results of our hard work, we can clearly see that the small amount of time in the gym is a small sacrifice for what we get out of it.
Honestly, 1 hour, out of the 24 hours God gave us, is not that much to ask. AND it’s not work without pay. It’s work with BIG pay. THAT’S the reality.
“But It’s Hard”
BUT (Yes, here’s the “but”), we often get too wrapped up in the immediate pain and fatigue. We feel sorry for ourselves, we think about how rough we have it – how hard workouts are, how hard it is to lose weight, how sore we are, how fat we feel, how hard we work, how tired we are, how many responsibilities we have, how everyone else seems to have it easier, and we think of just about everything else besides this one fact: As much as this sucks, quitting sucks more.
The repercussions of quitting hurts. You know that commercial that says “depression hurts“, well so does fat. Fat hurts. Being unhealthy hurts. Feeling weak hurts. Injury due to weak and tight muscles hurts. Aging and muscle deterioration hurts. Losing confidence hurts. Losing mobility hurts. Losing independence due to health hurts. Feeling like a failure because you truly failed and gave up hurts. All the repercussions to quitting on yourself, and your health, hurts way more than the worst workout you have ever had.
Next time you feel like giving up. Whether you are just tired of trying to lose weight and you can’t seem to get it right, or you want to quit your workout program because it’s too hard, NEVER forget that QUITTING will hurt you even more.
When it comes to exercise, why do we even think twice about whether we should do it or not? Because we allow ourselves to fixate on how we feel NOW. Whether it’s how we feel physically, or how we feel emotionally, we let those feelings determine our actions. Yet, if we were to just focus on how we feel when we are FINISHED, I believe our actions would change drastically.
If you have a goal, let all your actions (what you eat, what you do, what you sacrifice) all be to get you one step closer to that goal. I think our problem is we do too much thinking, and too little doing. Next time you think about whether you should workout or not, you are waisting precious time pondering the inevitable – so just do it! You know it has to get done eventually if you want to reach your goal.
Don’t just Live, #LiveWithFire
What gets you out the door?
How do you stay motivated to keep running when you, and everything around you, fights you every step of the way?
FitFluential LLC compensated me for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
People who succeed in weight loss and fitness, don’t have extra energy or super powers. They have as many excuses as anyone else. They wake up feeling tired and lazy. They get frustrated and depressed sometimes. They are tempted to skip their workouts, and are tempted to give up and give in. They may have times they feel weak or defeated. They feel many of the same feelings people feel that cause them to quit. The only difference is, they don’t allow their feelings to get in the way. They don’t quit.
How do they do it? How do they hang in there, keep pressing on and finding the motivation to keep showing up? I think, often times, we have to keep talking ourself into not giving up. We must fight those feelings, fight our negative thoughts and literally argue with our fat, lazy, hungry, self.
I am constantly in an argument with my flesh – but I refuse to let it win. AND, the fit Bonnie is strong and has convincing words to beat the lazy Bonnie.
In this blog, I share some of my own thoughts – AND I share quotes from my facebook and twitter friends – real people fighting the fit fight with real words that really work.
15 things I tell myself to help me get my fat lazy butt in gear:
- You know you’ll feel better if you do it. And you’ll feel horrible if you don’t.
- You really don’t have a choice.
- You need to stop now and do it. You’ll be so glad you did.
- You know what you want, so you know what you need to do to get it.
- If you really want “that”, you really need to do “this”.
- It’s such a small sacrifice for such a great reward.
- Are you really going to let fat win?
- Do you want abs or not?
- You don’t have to be perfect, but you can be better.
- Don’t let your enemies watch you fail.
- I want to be fit and healthy
- Working out makes me feel like a super hero
- You need to just do it because it’s the right thing to do, whether you feel like it or not.
- Your husband is hot. Don’t be the fat wife.
- You you’re gonna preach it, you better live it.
The People Speak
I know I’m not the only one who has to talk to herself to get her butt going, so I yesterday I asked my facebook and twitter friends to complete this sentence below. I got SO many fantastic responses, I decided to share them. SEE, you are not alone! We all talk to ourselves! ha And some of you guys are saying some really great stuff!! Check it out…
“Today, I woke up tired & unmotivated – but then I remembered these words_________________”
- Alexie Elizabeth Messer True happiness is being able to smile at yourself in the mirror…when you are butt naked!
- Nadine Armstrong Just show up!
- Christopher Borders I made a bet with Alfonso AngryTrainer Moretti to beat his time on a 500m Row. I didn’t beat his time but I got a new PR.
- Joann Rosalia I’m worth it!!!
- Ashley Brock Gibson Starbucks is in walking distance (Ashley, I’d definitely run for Starbucks!)
- Carolyn Caruso ”that mile isn’t going to run itself”
- Dan Pedley You vs you
- Bart Mazzarella Stay the course! Only losers quit!
- Laurie Duncan I’m gonna get sexy! lol Not quite as inspiring as all the above.
- Sig Wynne-Evans Your cancer is most likely because you are overweight. (said by my dr last year when I had uterine cancer). Gets me to the gym EVERY TIME
- Brian Loff ”It doesn’t have to be pretty, it just has to get done.”
- Tracy Piko U can do anything if u want it bad enough. My dad rest his soul always told me that
- Tavia Collins Smith If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results. – Jack Dixon
- Kellee Murphy Get up!!!! make the bed so you don’t lay back down, get work out clothes on. I made it to the gym today and even met a new friend and she and I plan on meeting there again! Great day!!!
- Jennifer Rataj Fat people make excuses. Fit people make time.
- Nicole Hamilton Gonzalez This isn’t a choice. This is who you are and this is what you do.
- Joy Cook Bouget Just do it. You’re lapping everyone on the couch!!
- Becky Puckett Shealy No one’s going to do it for you
- Mia Hann …I don’t get paid unless I show up?!!
- Gayle Winrow ”Quitting is NOT an Option”!!!
- Kylie Cole Just f…… Do it!!!!!
- Khari Espinoza ^^ And that’s why I sign up for races all the time
- Khari Espinoza I have a race in less than a month!!
- Natalia Balandina Giving up is not an option!
- Karen Robinson Why am I so tired and unmotivated… lol! Then I perked up! Lol
- Kimberley Nash You must work for what you want.
- Keala Keahi Vasconcellos My why my children
- Kanoelani Patterson I got this!! Nothing worth having is ever done easily so get up & let’s do this thing!
- Michael Petrosky . . . Own it Brother, own it !!
- Lizzie Flintoff Then I remembered that I had boot camp at 6am and then pole class straight after! Gym done and dusted! YEAH!
- Cindy Walter Rhoads Nobody is going to do it for me!! Today i will be the best i can be
- Sean Jaftha What would Bonnie do?!
- Lori Emm I always feel so much better after I workout
- Gary Whitaker Embrace the pain. Finish the drill.
- Kionna McNeal-Rowe Get’er dunn!!
- Danielle Streich If you think you can or you think you can’t…you are right!
- Amy Frazier Goleski Too damn bad!! : )
- Melody Cordero Summer’s coming!
- Rick Crosby There’s no quit in this boy
- Andrea Uribe Unmotivated is a feeling. Feelings are just feeling and if you ignore hem they will catch up.
- Ashlie Wynne ”How bad do you want it?”
- Trish Tague Burnett I am responsible for me. I get to choose the best option for me and that is choosing my health!
- Marcela Rhodus Dreams don’t work unless you do.
- Sabrina Reitmeyer ”mom you’re the best”
- Nell Lovorn Rela Just do it!!
- Amanda Theresa Caravello More sweat now, less jiggle later
- Friné Velilla Why don’t you burn more calories?
- Meghan Boeckman make it count..
- Linda Mcleod Every day above ground is worthwhile, so get to it!
- Clinton Fuller Gotta get at it cause I won’t see the changes I want to see sitting on my ass!
- Susan Brenner-Stutsman I fight on, I fight to win! Margaret Thatcher
- Patti Ambrosia McLean ’STEVE WILL MAKE YOU DO BURPEEEEESSSS!!!!!”
- Emme Green ”It starts & ends with me”
- Andre Owens This is a day God has given me. I will rejoice and be glad in it
- Judy Whitehead My goal is to keep going and get fit!
- Brian Stolze Don’t Give up!! Don’t Ever Give Up! Just DO It……
- Debbie Tosti @debbietosti15h today is a new day!
- Geraint Roberts @Gezzyroberts15h man up!
- TNCOWBOY7 @JasonSkelton715h I have not one pair of pants (out of probably 50) that I can get on. More important,my son is 9 so I need to b around awhile
- Damian Hunt @damian_hunt16h …winners never quit, quitters never win!
THANKS AMANDA FOR SHARING THIS!
It was so good, I made a fitness mantra pic out of it! More to come my peeps!
Strong Enough for Men, but Made for Women Too
Of course we know there are strong chicks too, but I think a lot of women just think they were born that way. Some of the toughest chicks aren’t tough because they LOOK tough – they are tough because they ARE tough. Just like Demi More in G.I. Jane, tough comes with a price. She had to train hard to do the stuff she had to do in that movie – from doing intense workouts, obstacle training and even prepping mentally to shave her head. People aren’t just born that way, they are made that way through enduring tough tasks. The tougher the task, the tougher you become.
Watch this short video clip, and tell me that doesn’t make you want to learn how to do a one-armed push up!
Do You Know Your Own Strength?
While I believe, if most women were honest, there is a side to them that would love to be tough and powerful. But, many women struggle with the self-confidence to grow in this area. This is even more of a problem when a woman is overweight or not in good shape. Ironically, one of the best places to fix that (the gym) makes many women even MORE insecure so they avoid it at all cost, or they save it as a last resort. Well, NO MORE! It’s time for you to become the POWERFUL, STRONG and CONFIDENT woman you desire to be! And I’ve got news for you, it doesn’t include pink rubber weights!
If you want to discover power, strength and confidence, it requires training that requires you to be powerful, strong and confident. If your training doesn’t CHALLENGE these areas, don’t expect to CHANGE those areas. Sadly, many women “ease” into their workouts because they simply don’t know how powerful and strong they really are. Why? Because they just don’t know their own strength – because they’ve never really tested it.
4 ways to toughen up & gain more confidence:
- Up your weight. I can’t tell you how many women are not even touching the surface of their own strength. They literally don’t know their own strength. However, if they were to up the weight, they’d be surprised to find they can do the same number of reps with the heavier weight. Would it be more difficult? Sure! Would it be possible? Sure! You’ll never know how strong you are until you try. Don’t worry about bulking up. Most women don’t have enough testosterone to gain manly muscles.
- Test your strength. Once a week, choose an exercise to test your 1 rep max, which is the maximum weight you can lift in one exercise. Normally, we are doing multiple reps of a weight, so the weight has to be light enough for us to repeat the exercise 12-15 times. But what if all we have to do is one repetition? That’s the idea of the 1 Rep max. Some of the best exercises, according to Bodybuilding.com, to use to test this are bench press, squats, deadlifts, clean and press, military (shoulder press) and bicep curls. Use Bodybuilding.com’s 1-Rep Max (1RM) Calculator to find out what your 1-rep max should be. There is nothing more empowering that lifting a heavy weight – even if it’s just one time.
- Try something new. If you are constantly staying in your comfort zone, using the same equipment or practicing the same training style, you will likely stay the same too. Venture out and try new things. Even if you discover you don’t like something, you will gain power from the knowledge you gained from trying it. Sure, you may feel a little dorky or awkward while you are learning it, but you will walk away feeling amazing.
- Do what the boys do. If you are constantly gravitating to aerobics classes and the women’s section at the gym, you are missing out! There is a reason guys are tough. They do though things – and so can you! For instance, flipping tractor tires is tough. Your hands get dirty and it’s hard work, but it’s an amazing workout and you’ll feel great when it’s done. The same goes with exercises like bench press, dips or pull ups. These are often exercises that never make it on a woman’s workout schedule. Sadly, it’s not because the women can’t do it. It’s because they never even try to do it. Make it a regular practice to incorporate tough exercises into your program.
20 Tough Activities & Exercises
- Try a handstand (and practice it)
- Test your 1RM for bench press
- Take boxing or martial arts lessons
- Do a mud run
- Do something untraditional like flipping a tractor tire or doing wall-ups
- Take a intense boot camp program
- Practice olympic lifting
- Take a gymnastics class
- Do a 5K, half marathon, full marathon or triathlon
- Climb a rock-climbing wall
- Take a grappling (wrestling) lesson
- Test your speed in a quarter mile (sprinting, not driving!)
- Practice push ups, pull ups and dips
- Train with kettlebells
- Take a power yoga class
- Practice batting at the batting cages
- Do a tabata workout (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off)
- Try a new sport – like surfing, skiing, cycling, mountain biking or swimming
- Play catch – football, softball or even frisbee (and GO ALL OUT to catch it!)
- Play with the boys. Play a coed ball game, workout with the guys, go to a car show and do something guys do. And don’t just show up – take that time to learn more about what you are doing. Whether it’s a drifting race or skin-boarding, knowledge is powerful.
8 Tough Workouts
Tractor Tire Training
10 Tire Exercises - If you’ve ever wondered what you can do with a tractor tire, here’s your answer!
Conditioning Tractor Tire Workout - Be ready for your heart to be POUNDING!
Tractor Abs – Learn 5 ab exercises you can do with a tractor tire.
Improve Your Push Up &/or Pull Up
Even if you can’t do a pull up or push up, THIS will get you stronger.
Try an untraditional workout, designed for mud runs and people who don’t have gym equipment.
BCx Wallup Workout
Climbed walls lately? Today’s your day! Try this crazy fun workout to boost strength and stamina.
Try a Kettlebell Workout
Learn some kettlebell basics.
Grueling Get Ups
Try this awesomely intense Turkish Getup inspired workout and get your sweat on!
Subscribe today to get more motivation tomorrow!
CLICK HERE to see more motivational mantras!