Category Archives: PFIT TIPS
WORKOUTS – EXERCISES – TRAINING TIPS
Let’s get PFIT! It’s time to workout! Get fresh new workouts, training ideas and exercise tips to start, or tweak, your program so you get that bod you’ve been longing for!! Success is just around the corner! Get to know your body and how fitness truly works when you do it right. Each blog offer applicable tips and information to help you reach your goals.
Tools: You can use a slant board if you have one, or you can do the exercises on the floor. Add a dumbbell or plate weight for more resistance.
Instruction: I added links to instructional video that simulated what I was doing in the gym so you could get an idea of what each exercise looks like).
6-Pack Cardio Workout
10 Minutes of High-Intensity Elliptical (high resistance)
15 Sit Ups (on slant board if you have one)
15 Crunches (on slant board)
15 Reverse Roll Ups
15 Diagonal Knee
10 Minutes of High-Intensity Elliptical
15 Sit Ups (on slant board if you have one)
15 Crunches (on slant board)
15 Reverse Roll Ups
15 Diagonal Knee
10 SLOW Sit Ups (on slant board if you have one)
10 SLOW Crunches (on slant board)
10 SLOW Reverse Roll Ups
10 SLOW Diagonal Knee
10 Minutes of High-Intensity Elliptical
Matching Graphic for sharing:
Reebok Outlet has taken 50% off all items for one day only. This is in addition to the already discounted prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Offer: Reebok Outlet: 50% off all items!
Run Date: Wednesday, July 23rd ONLY
Promo Code: iSHOP
INCLUDES: Nano 2.0, ATVs, RealFlex, DMX SKY, ZigQuick, Reebok ONE shoes, Yoga apparel, Zumba Dance apparel and CrossFit Apparel.
Now’s your chance to stock up!
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Check out what’s in their outlet! (OVER 720 KILLER ITEMS)
ATVs – My trail running shoe
My favorite running shoe, the DMX SKY
My favorite weight training shoe, the CrossFit Nano 2.0 (Hint: I have bought both guys & girls shoes to get the colors I want!)
My favorite workout shorts!!
Steve’s favorite training shorts.
Here’s a video on the shorts I wear. You don’t have to be a crossfitter to appreciate these super comfy shorts that are great for lifting weights, doing kickboxing classes, running or any other activity that requires flexible comfortable attire.
While one of my pet peeves is when a walker walks in the middle of the road, when there is a nice sidewalk right there, I have to admit I like running on asphalt over concrete. As I was running yesterday, I wondered if running on asphalt was actually softer and better for you. I decided to do some research when I got back home.
Asphalt vs Concrete
After doing some digging, I couldn’t really find any firm evidence asphalt is better for your body (there were mixed reviews and conflicts in opinions on the topic), however, I did find evidence it is indeed softer. According to my research, concrete is approximately 10 times harder than asphalt. These surfaces are measured by pounds per square inch (psi). Asphalt can be around 400-600psi and concrete can be anywhere from 3,000-4000psi for sidewalks to 8000-10000 for airport runways. Even though I found mix reviews on the impact these surfaces have on the body, I personally believe softer is better – and if nothing else, it’s more comfortable for me to run on them.
The next issue is how to run on the asphalt safely, without irritating drivers or getting run over. If you are like me, you’ve probably complained about people on the road. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard Steve say “there’s a sidewalk right there you moron”. What he really means is “I almost hit you and you scared me to death and I really wish you’d use the sidewalk so you will be safe”. However, after the guy flips you off for coming too close to him when he was running in front of the sunrise, in a blind spot, wearing all black and taking up his half of the road, “what a moron” comes out of his mouth first.
So, here are a few tips to keep you running safe, and keep everyone’s middle finger in control.
8 Safety Tips for Road Runners
1. Know that you are SUPPOSED to run on the sidewalk. Even if you choose not too, please know it is the law (at least it is here). While Florida law prohibits running on the road if there is a sidewalk nearby, I haven’t heard of anyone getting a ticket for that (YET). However, there are also laws for pedestrians to follow when sidewalks are not available. It would be smart for runners to follow these laws (since they are made for our own safety and were probably pretty well thought out) so you are as safe as possible if you choose to not run on the sidewalk. Tips #2 & #3 address those laws.
2. Run on the RIGHT side of the shoulder (to the right of traffic). The law says the first choice (if there are no sidewalks) is to run on the RIGHT of the SHOULDER. (Note, I don’t believe an extra 4 inches of asphalt constitutes a shoulder. The Federal Highway Administration defines a shoulder as “the portion of the roadway contiguous with the traveled way for accommodation of stopped vehicles for emergency use”. This means a true shoulder should be big enough to pull over safely on. I would have to ask an officer if we should run on a 6 inch piece of asphalt to really know, however, if my body can’t fit on the shoulder without crossing the line, I doubt very seriously they want you on it.) Please realize this is NOT saying to run on the right side of the road. Pedestrians should travel on the the FAR RIGHT of the shoulder OFF the road and not in the lane at all. Run to RIGHT of cars, to the RIGHT of the white line and the RIGHT of the shoulder. Got it? Good!
3. Run on the LEFT side of the road (facing traffic). If there is no shoulder, like in most cases around my neighborhood, then pedestrians should run on the LEFT side of the road. So, if you are running in a neighborhood, a country two-lane road or on a long drive, you should always be on the LEFT side of the LEFT lane going against traffic. Don’t think pedestrians have the right-of-way. They DON’T. The ONLY time you have the right-of-way is when you are using a crosswalk. And if a car comes close to you, don’t glare at them like they are the idiot. You are the one that is not where you are supposed to be. Waive politely for being in their way, thankful they didn’t run over you. If nothing else, they won’t drive by thinking fit people are dumb AND mean!
4. Move out of the way. It is polite to move to the outer edge of the road or even off the road when you see a car coming. This acknowledges that you see the car coming, and you know they have the right-of-way. Plus it’s just plain safe!
5. Be visible. It KILLS ME to see people running at dusk, dawn or even at night wearing black AND running on the road. Do you know how many times Steve or I have almost hit someone running on the road on the way to or from work, simply because they were not visible? Way too many times. Although you may not want to wear a dorky reflective vest, you can avoid wearing black, you can wear light and bright colored clothing, and you can even buy reflective clothing that is both stylish and safe. If you run during these times, you should invest in the proper gear. If you aren’t visible, then it would be better for your health to run on the sidewalk than trying to protect your joints but end up getting hit by a car. Just sayin’.
6. Turn your headphones down. I always have my headphones on when I run, but I keep them at a level where I could still hear screeching tires, a horn, siren or even someone yelling at me. If you can’t hear warning signs, you are risking unnecessary danger. If you are running at night, you may choose to not wear headphones at all so you can hear footprints if you feel you are at risk for anyone from sneaking up on you. The best way to stay safe is to increase awareness of what is going on around you at all times. If you block out noises, you just limited one of your most powerful senses.
7. Move off the road when you can’t see oncoming traffic. If you are walking around a corner or up a hill, realize oncoming traffic has no clue you are right around the corner. Your advantage is you can hear them coming. They have no advantage. You are in a blind spot and even their mere reaction to seeing you suddenly could cause them to overreact, panic or even swerve. Many people only think of what THEY can see, and not what drivers see. Just because you see someone coming doesn’t mean they see you.
8. Be nice. Seriously people. I hate to say this, but don’t be a grumpy running snob with your 4 water bottles, compression socks and competition outfit acting like you are racing for a million dollars. You are a walking (or should I say running) advertisement for fitness so be a good one! No one wants to hit a happy smiling runner. Noooo! They slow down, move over and wave a nice happy wave to that runner. If you want to get hit, have a mean scowl on your face and act like your poo don’t stink. Even if someone doesn’t choose to hit you, they may throw something at you just because they don’t like the way you look.
Share any of your own running tips or pet peeves below! I’d love to hear them!
More tips & laws for walkers and runners
Want to learn more? Read my recent blog for Answers.com, Walking and Running: 7 Rules to Stay Safe and Legal, for 4 more laws you need to know.
Do your Power Walks Lack Power? by Bonnie Pfiester, Answers.com
10 Tips to Buying Running Shoes by Bonnie Pfiester, Answers.com
Preparation Tips for Hiking by Bonnie Pfiester, Answers.com
Top 10 Running Surfaces by Runner’s World
Running on Cement, Asphalt & Grass by Livestrong
Sometimes I feel like I need a little boost to help me reach my goals. While I don’t normally take a lot of supplements aside from protein, vitamins and creatine, I do occasionally add a fat burner to the mix to give me that edge I need when I’m starting a new diet or I’m just kinda feeling blah. So, when I got the opportunity to try ThermoHeat, I jumped right on it – because NOW was one of those times!!
Being a fitness professional, I hate when diet pills claim to help you lose weight, get ripped, get your man back and fix all your problems (because you know some companies do make crazy claims like that!), however ThermoHeat just says it like it is – no fluff, just science (Click here to see clinical studies). It says it’s boost metabolism (and it DOES), helps manage your appetite (and it DOES!) and enhances energy and alertness (and it most definitely DOES).
You might have seen the ThermoHeat feature in Fitness RX. Basically, ThermoHeat is made up of a variety of nature’s best antioxidants, herbs, extracts and supplements. For instance, ThermoHeat has capsaicin in it, a chemical found in red chili pepper used to make paprika which reduces appetite & increases metabolic rate. Read more. While I’m no dietician or chemist,and can’t explain all the ingredients, I can tell you what this product does for me – or doesn’t do I should say!
Unlike many other thermogenics, ThermoHeat doesn’t make me jittery. Since I have heart palpitation issues, this is super important for me. Some fat burners make me feel very uneasy, but ThermoHeat is energizing without freaking me out. I can actually FEEL the warmth of the ingredients, warming me up from the inside – which is just plain cool (or hot, I should say). Increased body temperature results in more calories burned throughout the day.
Not only am I burning more calories at rest, the energy ThermoHeat gives me makes me want to burn even more calories. This is the edge I need to get my butt going on those days I’m not “feeling it”. Let’s be realistic. I would be lying if I told you to pop this pill and you’ll lose weight. While you will burn a few more calories a day and you may not be as hungry through the day, you will miss out on its benefits if you aren’t exercising and eating clean. What I love about ThermoHeat is I’m not only burning more calories, but I have the mental boost (more energy and alertness) to WANT to workout more. That’s the boost I’m talking about.
I have taken ThermoHeat before a run or before a class and LOVED the added energy! I don’t suggest taking it right before exercise (especially if you haven’t eaten) simply because the warm feeling feels more intense to me when I am huffing and puffing too, but if I take it with food or an hour before exercise I feel SUPER-FANTABULOUS! Seriously, the other day, I was SOOOOO DEAD! I really, REALLY didn’t want to go to the gym, but I popped some ThermoHeat (I know, it’s not a pre-workout pill, but I figured what the hay!) and DRUG my lazy bones to the gym – and ROCKED it! I totally left the gym feeling 10 foot tall and bullet proof. ThermoHeat is energizing indeed! Just ask Steve, who accused me of taking crack on the last BCx Boot Camp show on LiveExercise! lol After taking ThermoHeat, I was quite the energizer bunny! :)
Lastly, ThermoHeat is also an appetite suppressant and I DEFINITELY noticed I am not near as hungry now that I’ve been taking ThermoHeat. I do NOT condone going long spans without eating (we need to boost our metabolism by eating ever 2-3 hours), however, the other day I realized it was 6:45pm and I hadn’t eaten ALL day. I completely forgot – that is NOT like me! When I finally did eat, it wasn’t from hunger, but just because I knew I NEEDED to eat.
Basically, my take on ThermoHeat is this. If you want a little kick in the pants and need more energy without the jitters and heart racing, you should try ThermoHeat. I’ve actually never been so good and consistent about taking supplements. With ThermoHeat, I’ve been extra good about taking it on a regular basis like a good girl! Why? Because I’m comfortable taking it and it works! (oh yeah, and I have a lost a couple pounds too!)
SO thankful I got to try this product. I definitely give it 2 thumbs up!
The following post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Titin Tech.
Steve recently showed you how to use Titin weighted compression shirts to add resistance to plyos and calisthenics in my last post, but what about static holds like plank or yoga poses?
Today’s workout is an example of how versatile the Titin compression shirt really is. Since your resistance is like a second skin, you can comfortably add it to just about any exercise you do – like this challenging core workout routine. Even if you don’t have Titin gear yet, give this workout a try and imagine what it would feel like weighted down!
Complete 3 Rounds on Each Side:
10 Diagonal Knee
10 Side Elbow Plank with Single Side Kick
10 Elbow Plank Single Donkey Kick
10 T-Plank Row Combo
Repeat on the other leg
Improve strength, power and endurance with Titin! Learn More about Titan weighted compression gear & join the Titin Team at http://bit.ly/fftitin.
Pin the graphic:
What if there was FREE help online to fight obesity? Not random tips or information, but true guidance from personal trainers, nutritionists and physiologists? This is exactly what the team at LiveExercise is working hard to do.
With your help they can create The Launchpad Project, a free health program designed to assist people with obesity and limited mobility. The Launchpad Project will be a series of daily videos focusing on exercise, nutrition, and mental health, while also being a safe place for people to talk freely about their issues and progress.
Many people look at obesity as a simple case of eating less and exercising more, but overeating and sedentary lifestyle are only a small part of the problem. Poverty, lack of education, and underlying mental health issues such as anxiety, addiction, depression and abuse are all contributing factors. That’s why The Launchpad Project is not a weight-loss program, it’s a healthy lifestyle movement – with professionals to help people tackle all aspects of obesity.
Health shouldn’t have a price tag
LiveExercise is raising money so they can provide this program to everyone. They believe The Launchpad Project needs to be free to reach as many people as possible. Studies show that obesity and poverty are closely linked, often making gyms, and food such fresh fruits and vegetables inaccessible. This is why it’s more important than ever to provide accessible health and nutritional programs for low-income families.
They need $60,000 to pay for studio & production time and pay for the trainers, nutritionists, and psychologists to produce 6 months of free daily videos. BUT, (THIS IS REALLY COOL!) even if they don’t make it all the way, they will use what they have raised to produce as many shows as possible within the budget! That means every penny HELPS!!
LEARN & DONATE
If obesity has touched your life, this is your chance to make a difference and help others.
CLICK HERE to learn more about this program.
CLICK HERE to donate and choose your perk (your gift for donating from LiveExercise.com).
Can’t afford to give?
Give the gift of sharing – sharing this message so others can learn about the program and give.
If you have any questions or feedback, you can email them at email@example.com and they’re always listening on Twitter and Facebook!
Fitness requires going out of your comfort zone. This means you will have a love/hate relationship with some exercises. You will hate to do them, but you will love what they do for you!
Some Exercises Are Really A Chore
Seriously, I’d be lying if I told you I love every exercise. People need to be realistic. You may like a clean home, but that doesn’t mean you enjoy cleaning toilets. While you might not mind wiping down the counters, there will be some things you don’t like to do – but you sure are glad when they are done. In the same way, everyone has that exercise they really would prefer to skip, but you don’t want to skip the results.
No! Anything but THAT!
For most of us, it’s the exercise that takes the most work we hate the most. If only we could spray ourselves down with bleach to melt the fat away. Nope, it’s going to take some elbow grease I’m afraid! The fact is, if it’s an easy exercise, it probably isn’t as effective as the tougher ones.
If you want an effective exercise, you will probably need the exercise that works you where you need it most (normally working your weakest areas). It will be that dreaded exercise that gets your heart pounding out of your chest to the point you think your heart is going to explode. Or, maybe it’s the exercise that burns so much you are convinced your muscles are going to spontaneously bust out in flames. You probably are already thinking of a few exercises that fit this category. It’s OK, we all have a secret list of most-hated exercises. We don’t have to love every exercise we do. We can just love the results!
The Eight I Hate
Personally, my most hated exercises are Big Ax Jacks and Stomps. Oh yeah, I almost forgot wall sits, all yoga and push ups. Oh wait, and there are pull ups and Mary Catherines. OK, maybe I could make my own top 20 list, because I have enough hated exercises to fill up the list on my own. However, if I’m honest (and you know I am) I have to admit most of these most hated exercises are exercises that works my body in ways I need it worked the most. So what does that tell me? I need to do those exercises even MORE. Ughhhhh. The truth stinks!! But you know what they say, the will set you free! :)
As I pondered the most hated (and secretly loved) exercises, I decided to set out and find what other people HATE to do, but LOVE the results. Since we all have different strengths and weaknesses, I fully expected different opinions. At the same time, I also knew there would be a few top picks that almost everyone would agree on. The comments were awesome!
Top 20 Most-Hated Exercises That Work
Below, are the top 20 responses – from awful to worst (I wonder what THAT could be! lol The Hint is in the screen shot from facebook below. haha)! TIP: Click on the link to view video instruction.
19. Jump Squats
18. Rope Climb
16. Double Unders
15. Pistol Squat (Single Leg Squat)
14. Wall Ups
13. The Gauntlet (Step Mill)
12. Tuck Jumps
11. Wall Sits
10. Pull Ups
8. Mary Catherines (Plyo split lunges)
7. Push Ups
6. Planks & Side Planks
4. Lunges (all types of lunges!)
3. Big Ax Jacks (minus the football stomps in the video)
2. Mountain Climbers
Add Your Most-Dreaded to the List!
What is your nemesis? What exercise do YOU hate to do, but love the results? Comment below!
Join us on LiveExercise and learn how to incorporate these exercises in your workout. Steve and I lead a cross training workout show each week where we use some of the most hated (and loved) exercises to get you the results you want. We’d love to have you!! Click on the LIVE logo and get workout with us for 2 weeks free! We have 32 LiveXFit workouts you can do, plus over 2,000 other workouts to try too including kickboxing, yoga, chiseled bands, chiseled cardio, dumbbells, toning and more!
This post is all about going LIVE. What do I mean? Well, not only did we just wrap up one insane workout today, which I’m sharing very soon, but we are also preparing for a LIVE Round Table Event TONIGHT- where you can ask me (along with all the Live Exercise trainers) questions LIVE.
Ask us about what we eat before a workout, to whatever silly personal question you are dying to ask us. This is a chance for you guys to get to know us better, share some tips and have a ton of fun. OMG, these guys and girls are hilariously entertaining. It’s going to be quite the show with all of us in the same room, but how cool is it for you guys to join the conversation!!
HOW TO JOIN THE CONVERSATION
6:30PM FRIDAY MAY 2ND
Follow hashtag #liveexercise & use #liveexercise hashtag in your posts.
If you want an even easier way to tweet, use the #liveexercise TweetChat Room and it will automatically follow the conversation and automatically add the hashtag :)
Tweet with us, and watch us LIVE via YouTube
OR Live X members can watch on LiveExercise.com!
Who will be there:
(NOTE: LIVEEXERCISE HAD SOME YOUTUBE ISSUES. I’LL POST THE VIDEO AS SOON AS IT’S UP!)
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
I know some of you LOVE Reebok CrossFit stuff so I’m passing this along. They are having a special (for their Reebok Affiliates like MEEEE to pass along to YOUUU!) It’s TOTAL ONLY! SO HURRY! Look for the info and code below! They have some killer stuff on sale!!
PRIVATE SALE ALERT: 50% Off Reebok CrossFit Gear
TODAY ONLY! Reebok is hosting an exclusive CrossFit sale where you can get 50% off on select CrossFit items for a limited time. Use the code: CF50 at checkout to get your discount. Happy shopping!
Steve and I both have that longsleeve shirt. All their stuff really rocks!!
This workout is made up of 30 seconds of cardio followed by 10+ heavy reps of resistance exercise. The workout is designed for you to go up in weight each round and stay with 10 reps OR go up 5 reps each round if you stay at the same weight. You probably won’t be able to go super heavy because of the cardio and no rest. So heavy for this circuit will be light compared to traditional weight lifting. For instance, I squat 95-185lbs when I’m just squatting (and resting in between sets). There is NO rest during this circuit, so it’s everything I have to just keep going!
This workout is about burning fat AND toning muscle at the same time – a perfect workout for people on the go who don’t have time to sit around between sets and get extra cardio too!!
Here’s a snap shot of all the exercises:
GET READY TO SWEAT:
Tools: Dumbbells, Kettlebells, bands or barbell – even 2 gallons of water will do!
30 sec squat jumps
10 shoulder presses
30 sec jump rope
10 dips (I added weight to my lap)
30 sec mountain climbers
X 3-5 rounds – NO rest between exercises