Sodium Alert: Chips vs Jerky
To jerk or not to jerk, PART 2: You Won’t Eat Jerky but you’ll eat Chips?
This blog is about helping my fellow salty snack lovers find a solution to their snacky habits, as well as answer your questions (and I have gotten a lot of questions about sodium). EVERYONE is ALWAYS asking me what to eat – so I’m telling ya.
To follow up on my PerkyJerky review, I decided to continue researching sodium content. I compared 1 oz. of PerkyJerky to 1 oz. Baked Doritos. Results were really cool so I thought I’d share them with you! NOTE: I am not even using the highest fat, highest sodium, highest calorie snack to compare PerkyJerky too …because that’s how I roll.
1. Less Sodium: Baked Doritos had 230mg of sodium. PerkyJerky only had 110mg. (PS: All jerky is not created equal. Jack Links has 480mg per serving)
2. Less Calories: Chips had 120 calories. PerkyJerky had only 50 calories! So all the taste and NO guilt!
3. More Protein: This goes without saying, but felt I should rub this in too. The chips had a measly 2gms of protein compared to 9gms in the jerky.
4. Less Carbs. Another no-brainer, but it still should be mentioned – PerkyJerky only has 2gms of carbohydrates versus 21gms of carbs in the chips.
5. Less Fat: Even though the Baked! chips are low fat, they still had 3.5gms of fat in them compared to PerkyJerky’s big fat NADA, ZILCH, ZIP, ZERO grams of fat.
Share YOUR favorite salty snacks with me (below)!
You can find PerkyJerky at 7 Eleven, Home Depot, Target, GNC, Publix…and Best Buy (odd one, but OK). 🙂
Use their store locator to find PerkyJerky near you.