Top 10 Essential Oils for Healthy Living
It is not only proven that fragrance can change or evoke a mood, but many fragrant essential oils can also be good for you.
Last week Steve and I got a cold. It started with a sore throat, congestion and runny nose. Now it’s in the lungs and we have that frustrating cough that just won’t stop. My sister came over and dropped off some essential oil called “thieves”. I had no idea what thieves was but she swore it helped her feel better when she got a cold and purified the air. I immediately fell in love with it.
While the use of essential oils may be new to me, they have been around for years. The use of incense and oils is mentioned all throughout scripture, used as early medicine and fragrance. Probably the most famous oils in the Bible are Frankincense and Myrrh, which were brought as a gift at Jesus’ birth (and smell amazing by the way!).
It was also common for people to anoint (smear or rub on) the sick with oil (“Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.” James 5:14) Mary anointed Jesus’ feet to be anointed with Spikenard oil (John 12:3) but oils were used way before Jesus’ time. Spikenard was mentioned in the Song Solomon and burning oils as incense was used a big part of worship in the Old Testament.
Ancient Egyptians were famous for using essential oils for health, hygiene and healing. Frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh, and cinnamon were considered so valuable, they were sometimes exchanged in return for gold. When King Tut’s tomb was opened, they found 350 liters of essential oils, which included Spikenard and Frankincense – and, from what I understand, they STILL smelled good even after being buried for centuries!
While I don’t believe it heals every single thing on the planet like some people may claim, there has been proven research that essential oils have many health benefits. Here are my top 10 healthy choices.
My Top 2 Oil Blends
- Fighting Five – Thieves, now called Fighting Five is one of Eden’s Gardens’ synergy blend, contains the most aggressively powerful essential oils of all time. Clove, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Lemon and Eucalyptus effectively work together to boost the immune system and fight airborne bacteria and germs. Fighting Five can also cut off respiratory congestion before it starts, by protecting the body from infectious harm.
- Purify – A blend of Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lemongrass and Lime. With a citrusy, minty aroma, Purify is disinfectant and neutralizer and increases alertness and mindfulness.
My Top 3 Healthy Must-Haves
- Eucalyptus – cold and congestion relief
- Peppermint – energy and alertness
- Tea Tree Oil – Antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial (so potent it has killed MRSA)
My Next Top 5 Oils On My Own Shopping List
- Lavender – relaxation, pain relief (great for PMS), anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial
- Lemon – happy, alertness, anti-infection, astringent, detoxifying, antiseptic, disinfectant, antifungal
- Frankincense – immunity, anti-inflammatory, astringent, antiseptic, disinfectant, expectorant
- Clove -antimicrobial, antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral, aphrodisiac & bug repellant
- Spikenard – Relaxation, stress-relief and beautiful fragrance (woody/musky aroma)
best dispensary denver
Hey Loved the Post! Great Article
I just discovered you today through You Tube and I love you guys! What a fantastic and positive approach you have.
AWE!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!
Love the Essential Oils Post Bonnie.
Thanks for the great stuff as always.
thank you Ben!!!!
Michele Evans Grant
I like to dilute Thieves Oil with a carrier oiland massage over my chest and lower back when I have a cough. Adding a warn compress over the chest for a few minutes will amplify the effect. I diffuse Thieves Oil as well.