This month I’m using YOUR suggestions for my Designer Whey Workouts this month! Last week, Julie from “Reaching My Fullest Potential“, wrote “I am planning to compete for the first time in Figure next spring and am hoping to strengthen and build my upper back, shoulders, and glutes. I would like to see a workout that uses the barbell and dumbbells.”
Before I share the workout I created for you Julie, I thought I’d share some extras with ya! First, you are plenty lean, so I’d be sure to beef up your protein intake (which I bet you are already doing!) and really lift as heavy as you can. I’d do a lot of negatives (which means push-press, split jerks & pull ups with a slow controlled downward movement would be helpful). While I wouldn’t put legs, shoulders and back in one workout, I can suggest a few exercises that are a must, along with many other staples, to help develop those areas. Here are just a few of my personal favorites!
15 Exercises Every Women Should Try!
- Barbell Press (I do 55lbs 12 reps)
- Push-press (I do 65-75lbs 12 reps)
- Split Jerks (I do 75-85lbs 8-10 reps)
- Snatch (you can use a dumbbell if you don’t have kettlebells)
- Upright Row LOVE THESE! (I do 55lbs)
- Handstands (Ok, I just think they are FUN – but they also really challenge your core and stabilization muscles through your shoulders & upper back). Hold each handstand for as long as you can, keeping active shoulder and core tight.
Rear Delt & Upper Back:
- Pull Ups (I always try to do them on my own first, and then I do assisted ones)
- Face Pulls – (real delts and upper back)
- T-Bar (flared arms, out 90 degrees from your side, to work more upper back)
- Bentover Barbell Row (mid back)
Glutes (Lower Body):
- DEEP Overhead Squat (I love this for core, glutes & inner thigh – even no weight rocks)
- Weighted Walking Lunges (I do 15lb or 20lb dumbbells)
- Runner’s Pose Stomp
- Slow Knee Repeater (NO weight on that back leg)
- Curtsy (use a light weight to add resistance)
Remember, this isn’t ALL the exercises for each body part – just a few of the ones I like! 🙂 Now for the workout dedicated to Julie!
The Julie (Curve-Building) Workout:
This Figure Athlete inspired workout is a lower-body conditioning workout that gives you more bang for your buck! I used exercises that will sculpt the legs & glutes – plus tone the shoulders, tightens the core, and burn a bunch of fat! This would be a great workout to do alone or add to your current cardio or conditioning program. OR, you can throw this workout in as an extra refresher later in the week after you have done your normal leg and shoulder days. ENJOY!
Tools: Dumbbells or Kettlebells and a barbell.
- 3 Sets of Kettlebell Swings
- 20 Thruster or Plate (or sandbag) Thrusters (DEEP – elbows touch knees)
- 20 Sumo High Pull – or with Dumbbells (Also DEEP!)
- 20 Overhead Walking Lunges (a total of 40 steps using HEAVY fumbbells)
- 20 RIGHT Single Leg DeadLift with 1-arm Lat Pull (pull at 45 degrees on the way up)
- 20 LEFT Single Leg DeadLift with 1-arm Lat Pull (pull at 45 degrees on the way up)
- 20 Curtsies RIGHT
- 20 Curtsies LEFT
3 Times Through with 1 Minute Rest Between Rounds
NOTE: Remember, you’ll never see any of these curves if you don’t work as hard on your diet as you do on your workout!