Workouts can get really boring – if you LET them (key word: LET). Of course, for many of you, how boring your workouts are greatly depends on how creative your trainer or instructor is. As a boot camp trainer, it’s my job to research new ideas, workouts, games, exercises and tools to make our program the best program possible – all while keeping workouts fresh and fun. Many times that requires a little creativity – especially if you are limited on equipment or space.
Steve and I love to think up new ways to work muscles using untraditional methods. We also love shopping at Lowe’s in search of new tools to make for our boot camp (like the sandbags & battle sticks we made this weekend). Why? It’s not because there is a shortage of effective traditional exercises or equipment, but because we know not everyone has access to a gym or can afford a $4,000 piece of equipment for each body part. With that in mind, we try to develop ways for you to enhance workouts at home, in the gym, or while on the road, so you can have more variety to choose from without having to invest in a ton of equipment.
Whether you work your self out, or you are a trainer looking for some fresh material, here are 20 untraditional exercises to try out!
Untraditional Exercises for Functional Training
Click on the exercise to view video instruction for each exercise.
1. Geronimo (Hamstrings Exercise Using a Wall)
2. Surfers (Cardio and Lower Body using just Body Weight)
3. Wall-ups (Cardio and Upper Body using a Wall)
4. Roll Up (Cardio & Lower Body using Bands)
5. Repell Squat (Cardio & Lower Body using Bands)
6. Hop Over (Full Body Toning & Cardio using a Step)
11. Swiss Ball Kneeling Shoulder Press (Balance Ball)
12. Swiss Ball Kneeling Lateral Raise (Balance Ball)
13. Swiss Ball Kneeling Biceps Curl (Balance Ball)
14. Stabilizer Push-up (Medicine Ball)
15. Bosu Push-up (Bosu Ball)
16. Bosu Jump Squat (Bosu Ball)
Sample Wall-Up Workout
Here is an example of how we use untraditional exericses, like wall-ups, in our workouts with our clients:
Subscribe to BCx Boot Camp and PFITtv for more workout ideas, fitness tips and more!